Thursday, April 23, 2020

The Process Continues


What a ridiculous thing to say. What else could the process do? I suppose it could end. But I'm what my father would call 'principled' when he describes pretty much everyone in our family. What it really means is stubborn. I'm okay with that.


I got the first pass on the manuscript. It's bizarre but when I get that rejection email, I feel relieved. Why is that? Maybe because that piece of the uncertainty is over. The end of this round of queries ends one of two ways - publication for realsies or self-publication. I know there are people who are good with and prefer self-publication. I am not good with it. I want representation and publication and a spot on the Costco book table. Sometimes I take pictures of the fiction shelf at the book store where the 'A' authors. I have one of those pictures at my desk at work and when I look at it, I tell myself that's where my next book is going.


One of two things will happen first - I'll get published, or I'll die trying. It's a pretty safe eventuality. 


So the process that continues at this moment is me carefully picking my way through the table of agents and publishers until they all pass, or offer representation or publishing. 


The outcome is unknown. There is comfort in the process.


Write on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback T.V. Thursday

It's  Throwback T.V. Thursday. I'm about to seem very old, so be warned. My parents were pretty strict about what we were...